Know About SMAP Institute, the Largest Private Higher Eductation in Eritrea

SMAP Institute of Training, Education, Research and Consultancy, the Largest Private Higher Education in Eritrea,


SMAP-Institute is a private higher educational Institute established in October 2005 with the permission of the Ministry of Education and duly licensed by the Ministry of Trade and Industry, to offer education and tailor-made training and research/consultancy services in the fields of business at Diploma and Certificate levels.

At present, SMAP has seven academic departments namely;

1. Accounting,

2. Business Management,

3. Information and Communication Technology,

4. Secretarial Science,

5. Pedagogy,

6. Business English and,

7. Business Law.


Since 2005, the number of students has been growing at an average rate of 48% per annum.


To this date it has graduated over 1500 students. Most of the graduates are employed in private businesses, governmental and nongovernmental institutions and some are pursuing their higher education at degree levels inside the country and abroad.


SMAP is also engaged in providing short-term training and research/consultancy services. A tailor made short-term training is given to employees of various organizations based on their request. A new English Language Training Program has also been in place since the beginning of 2012 for a diversity of learners including foreigners.


The research/consultancy activities mainly include development of proposals, business plans, conducting feasibility study, baseline survey, industrial development, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programs, and so on.




Physical Resources


The Institute has two campuses. In campus I, Diploma students in Accounting and Business Management as well as certificate and diploma students in Secretarial Sciences and ICT are accommodated.

Campus II accommodates certificate program students in Accounting, Business Management, Pedagogy and Business Law and certificate and diploma students of Business English. In the long- run the Institute plans to build its own premises to carry on educational and training services.


Moreover, it is also the Institute’s policy to be flexible enough to respond education and training demands in the regions (towns and Administrative centers of Zobas) by deploying its training experts to train people in central districts close to the residential areas of the trainees.

At its establishment, SMAP was operating with only 3 class rooms, 1 computer lab and 3 offices. At present all the essential academic and administrative activities of the institute are carried out in two different sites: Campus I and Campus II. The first campus is in Saba Building and the second campus is located at the center of the town. Campus I has 40 rooms and campus II has 31 rooms, of which 19 rooms are used as class rooms. There are also two sizable conference halls, which together can seat more than 60 students/trainees at any given time. The remaining spaces of the building are being used as offices, computer laboratories and the like carrying out its activities.

LIBRARY

SMAP has two libraries, one in campus I and the other in campus II. These two libraries are equipped with 2324 books and 3421 course handouts. It is from these libraries that teaching materials are issued to the students. The available copies of teaching materials for the various courses appear to be adequate given the size of the student enrolment at present.The library can accommodate 180 students in 3 shifts and is open from 8:00 a.m.-21:00 p.m.


COMPUTER LAB

At its inception in 2005 there was only one computer lab, which was equipped with 23 computers. Most of the computers were with Pentium III and Pentium IV processors. They could only be used withlight weight software -Ms Office 2003. Then as SMAP services had started to grow, the need for additional computers increased. So with the launching of the Information Communication Technology department, a second computer lab having 10 computers of Pentium IV processors was opened.


This new computer Lab was used for advanced IT courses in the ICT Department. With the opening of a second Campus in 2012 the total number of computers has reached 60 in 3 computer Labs. These labs are equipped with a reliable network to facilitate the student learning processes. To facilitate the instructor student interaction and for a better lab management, a special software called Net Support has been used since January 2012.


CANTEEN SERVICES

The Institute has two well furnished canteens in Campus I and II for its staff and students.


HEALTH SERVICES


It is important for our students and staff to have access to health service in both campuses. For this purpose SMAP is providing first aid health services to all its staff and students using its two nurses. They are provided with emergency care as needed. In addition, they dress wounds, provide symptomatic treatments, measure blood pressures, give medical advice to students and staff and organize and give health education to students and staff.


Human Resources

The Institution has a total of 149 employees out of which 58% are academic staff and the remaining are administrative staff. The Institute is governed by a board of directors who are drawn from the shareholders as well as other external professional advisors with strong academic background and experience. It mainly depends on its permanent staff though it employs part-time academic staff from


the different industries and academic institutions to have a diversified competency and enhance the quality of education it provides.


SMAP has prepared a college education curriculum of international standard. It has also prepared and published Academic & Administrative Policy Manual and Student Handbook of Programs & Courses in January 2011.


Financial Resource


Throughout its life, the Institute has been self-financing. The sources of finance has been from tuition from the regular academic program as well as from training and consultancy services rendered to various organizations. The Institute has 1) created employment, 2) paid government taxes regularly and 3) the remaining funds have been utilized for the development of the Institute by investing in the educational facilities including solar based lights and expanding to a second campus to cater for the ever growing demands of communities for education.


Financial Sources and Application,


As presented in the Pie Charts below, nearly two-thirds (64%) of the total sources of income has been utilized for covering the operating costs (i.e. printing and duplication of handouts, rent of premises, staff salaries, utilities, etc). The remaining one-third (36%) comprised 17% for payment of government taxes (including service, employments, profit and municipality taxes), 14% for additional internal investment requirements and 5% for remuneration of investors. In other words, 95 percent of one Nakfa earned by the Institute has been utilized for covering operating costs; government taxes and sustaining internal expansion of the Institute, leaving 5% incentive to the investors.

Official Website of the Institute፡

http://www.smap-institute.com/index.php


NationalEr Interest

186 views

©2019 Proudly created with NationalEr Interest.